Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Countdown Has Begun!

There are only three days left until I leave! Flights and everything have been set and to say that I'm excited would be an understatement. I'm going to be spending the upcoming days to familiarize myself with the topics just to be sure that I have some background knowledge.


Here is an article that was posted on the LSU website that gives a bit more info on what I'll be doing.


http://appl003.lsu.edu/unv002.nsf/9faf000d8eb58d4986256abe00720a51/63cefc81b5beba2f86257674004e271d?OpenDocument



The goal is to get more schools involved with this and maybe open up opportunities for other students. I encourage other students, particularly those interested in science, to talk to their science departments about watching the lectures as other schools across the nation will be.  I'd be more than willing to serve as a school contact if necessary.  

7 comments:

  1. Amanda Hardy is a perfect guinea pig for this program. She has all the qualities that it takes to be successful. I think that this is an amazing opportunity to get high school students interested in subjects that aren’t always interesting but are very important. I wish this program and Amanda Hardy the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a terrific opportunity, and Amanda is just the person to be there. She is bright, out-going, and a natural leader, and never hesitates to jump into things with both feet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really does sound like a great opportunity! Amanda, you are fortunate to be able to partake in it. I think that it would be a great idea to extend this program to others, as it would allow for an even greater expansion of ideas and learning. It seems as though this is something that would benefit and stimulate many minds, so the more people it is made available to, the more impressive and influential the program would be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, best of luck in DC! I know that surely you are going to learn tons from these lectures. I hope you are able to get everything that you can out of it. We will enjoy watching you on the big screen friday in class! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, this sounds like a great opportunity. I agree with one of the revious posts; it would be great if this opportunity was opened up to more students and also in more subject areas. As you know, I'm more of a History girl myself. I would definitely be interested in something similar to what you're doing but in History or another subject. Best of luck with everything! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda,

    Please try not to think of Locke or Berkeley while you are in D.C.Hope you get to see some of the sights, like the Jefferson Memorial. "We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors." Thanks for pushing the paradigm, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a great honor. Amanda, this is honestly such a great opportunity. I can't wait to read about all of your experiences! I think it is necessary for the youth to be immersed in the influence of great and inovative technology that is advancing the way we live. HHMI is such a great research center and is doing a great job of encouraging the youth to become involved with new scientific information earlier on in their educational careers. Hopefully, more schools will follow suit and send representatives to experience this conference. I am so glad that you were the first one to bridge that gap, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete